Skip to main content

About this Show

The Gavin Newsom Show

Willie Mays Music/Art. (2013) Baseball legend Willie Mays. New. (CC) (Stereo)




San Francisco, CA, USA

Comcast Cable

Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)






Willie Mays 10, Gavin 7, Willie 5, Us 4, Candlestick 3, Birmingham 2, Chicago 2, Heaven 2, Joe 2, United States 2, San Francisco 2, Detroit 2, Trenton 1, Alabama 1, Obama 1, Pittsburgh 1, Cleveland 1, Washington 1, Me 1, Orlando 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Current    The Gavin Newsom Show    Willie Mays  Music/Art.  (2013)  
   Baseball legend Willie Mays. New. (CC) (Stereo)  

    January 11, 2013
    10:00 - 11:00pm PST  

show, to be able to come away armed with the facts, and the arguments to feel confident in their positions. i want them to have the data and i want them to have the passion. [ ♪ theme music ♪ ]
>> gavin: hello, and thank you for watching the show. we have a very special program for you tonight. in fact, we've only once before dedicateed the buyer entire show to a single guest who was google segei who was joined by his wife. we're privileged to interview willie mays, he's still considered the best baseball player of all time. it's wonderful to have you on the show. >> thank you very much. >> gavin: from your perspective looking today what what aspects of baseball has changed. >> it's very difficult for me to knock baseball. every generation will have a change. when we came in, we changed the game. afterafrican-american guys
changed the game because we started hitting bases and stealing a lot. when you look at how young kids play the game, i think it's a wonderful change because. it's very difficult for me to talk about baseball in a negative way. >> gavin: what aspects when you started playing were most valued. was it on base percentage? was it fielding prowess? was it hit and consistency? what were things that were marked most important when you started playing. what was emphasizeed. >> they said three things. you had to hit in average. you you have knock in runs and you have to score runs. those these things, and did i. if i didn't knock in a hundred
or 96 or 97, but it wasn't anything that i had to do. it was just that at that time it was very important that you did all these things. you know, and i did. i led the league for about four or five years in a row and i stopped because it was wearing me down hitting home runs, running the bases playing defense. but the key to me, i think was playing defense more than playing offense. >> focusing on defense. >> yes. >> gavin: and i mean, you, of course became iconic in this basket catch. where did that come from? they don't teach that today. >> no, they won't let them do that today. i said to myself, what can i do to make the game that people enjoy when they come to see me play.
i started to do something different. i started making the basket catchish and i found out i could get rid of the ball quicker with the basket catch than over my hand. i started doing that, when i went out they said i could do that. >> gavin: but you did famously a line drive. >> i missed two balls. ten years apart. one in pittsburgh. that's the only one i missed. he said go ahead and do it. no problem. >> gavin: did others try to emulate them, did others try to copy you. >> clamene. he did it pretty good. he saw me do that. but he could throw. >> gavin: what makes a great defensive player. is it the arm? leg, speed anticipating where the ball is, understanding
conditions keeping a mental focus. >> i think it's more organizing. knowing what the hitter is going to do before he hits. i could go home at night, which i did if we were going to play a new team, i could focus in my mind every hitter who came to the bat before they came to bat. i could visualize each guy hitting a ball, and me catching it. don't ask me how i did all that, i don't know. if you were playing today, and you were a left-hand hitter, the pitcher and i would get together. where do you want him to hit the ball? i would say left center. which means he's not going to hit it hard. it would be a left line drive it was a gab ball, and i could catch all of those. the catcher pitcher the centerfielder, those are your
key guys on the baseball team. >> gavin: why were you such a great base stealer. was it natural speed or being able to read the pitcher. >> quickness. if you ever seen me play, i was quick on the outfield, on the bases. i remember one time we were playing in new york, and the catcher--the ball went down, and the catcher had taken the ball and threw it back. back in the little dirt there. now, he has got to go get it. but he started with the ball. he saw me running he came back to home plate without the ball. so i scored very easily on that. i think it's an important thing that you know what to do before it happens. you can't wait until it happens oh i got to do this. no no. >> gavin: was it the same thing when you're hitting sitting in the batter's box and watching
the pitcher. were you doing the same visioning the at-bat before every at-bat. >> mental visualizing what i had to do? i did that at night before the game. again, you can't have a guy like bob gibson or drysdale throwing at your head. you have to know what his position--meaning what is his best pitch? i want to hit the pitcher's best pitch. whatever it is. i don't care. just let me know what it is so i could sit down, and i said to myself well, he's got a good slide. that's what i'm going to hit. he's going to throw it. every pitcher throws his best pitch. where am i going to hit it? if it's outside i can't pull it i'll hit it right center. if he hits it inside, i'll pull it in the hole. when i pole pull it in the hole, they can't get me out at first. i can put it away very quickly.
>> gavin: is one of the tenants of great hitting patience? there was that first pitch. >> tad was a hitter. there were a lot of guys that were better hitters than i. but i like to field. you're a great hitter but i can hit the home runs better than you. i'm on base just as much as you. stan musier, he was a great hitter. he would have five home runs in one game--not one game but in a doubleheader. don mueller did the same thing. i hit four in one game but i never hit five in a double hitter. >> gavin: willie holds so many records it's hard to keep track. question whether i'm right, but i think that the audience gets that this guy, to the best of his ability, is trying to look out for us.
♪ ♪ the trucks are going farther. the 2013 ram 1500 with best-in-class fuel economy. engineered to move heaven and earth. guts. glory. ram. the new ram 1500. motor trend's 2013 truck of the year.
[ ryon ] eating shrimp at red lobster is a fantastic experience. 30 shrimp for $11.99. i can't imagine anything better. you're getting a ton of shrimp and it tastes really good! [ male announcer ] hurry in to red lobster's 30 shrimp for just $11.99! choose any two of five savory shrimp selections like mango jalapeño shrimp and parmesan crunch shrimp. two delicious shrimp selections on one plate! all with salad and unlimited cheddar bay biscuits. 30 shrimp, just $11.99 for a limited time. wow, that's a lot of shrimp. i'm ryon stewart i'm the ultimate shrimp lover,
and i sea food differently. [ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> gavin: we're back with baseball legend willie mays. there is a lot, 24 all star games. why not a 25th? what happened? you get close a few times? >> 24 all-star games. the way i got that. they were playing two games in one season to get money for the i guess for the guys who never got retired or something. that's how i got the 24th. it's three of us. >> gavin: right. when you heard the team was moving to san francisco, were you enthusiastic about that? you grew up in the south but you were back east. you were a new york guy. was that difficult? >> i was a new york guy.
at the time i was just getting used to new york, and it's very difficult for new york to embrace you. i was just getting that style of play because i came in '51, and we left in '57 '58. i played out here. it was very difficult for me to come out leave new york, buy a house, start all over again. it was like starting all over again. everything was in new york at that time until i got out here. then everything started changing because baseball and everything. >> gavin: did it take a while for the fans to warm up to you out here? what was your sense? >> that's what they said. actually in 1958 i had one of my better years too. i hit 340 350, something like that. i think orlando was the rookie
of the year, and he was the most valuable player on the ball club. i didn't understand that. i said, i hit 350 you got to do something better so they were trying to send a message to me, hey, we had joe here, some other players come before you. you just coming out here, so it take me about three years. >> gavin: do you recall--imagine they're there for you hundreds of extraordinary moments. is there anything that stand out. is there a game where you hit the home run one of the legendary games in 1963, two of the great pitchers of our time going head to head, is it the four home run game, the catch what sticks out in a career. >> well, it's a combination. i think when you hit four home runs that's that's a great defeat right there. but the 16-inning games, i was
0-for-5, i think i was. they pitched a great game. but the reason why i chose that game because i was coming in from centerfield. i was just hitting back at first base and somebody tapped me on the shoulder. he said, i'm tired. i said, do you see that guy over there, he's 40 years old. he said don't worry about it. but i need a home run. >> gavin: are you just making that up. >> no. >> gavin: that is a true story. >> yeah. >> gavin: so you woke up from your slump in the game. >> i hit a home run. i was second up. he said, could you hit a home run for me? well, you don't do it all the time. you just--it just happened that i did it. i laid into it. i thought he was tired. that's what i thought.
40-something years old pitching 16 innings you don't see that any more. you see seven innings maybe eight innings but 16? no. no. >> gavin: would you hit 20 home runs a year if you weren't in candlestick? >> i would have hit more. i would have hit maybe 50. >> gavin: over the course of your career you would have hit at least 50 more home runs. >> no, i probably would have hit 20--i had 20 on the road and 20 at candlestick. i should have hit 30 or 40 at candlestick and 20 on the road, but i hit more home runs on the road than candlestick. sometimes i hit 25. sometimes i hit 18 at candlestick. then i learned how to let the wind take it and smooth it out to right. so i was okay. >> gavin: you honestly would
gauge your hitting style based on where the wind wag blowing? >> oh, yeah. when i would go to the ballpark i would look at the flag. if the flag was flowing this way, i knew i had to hit it straight away and the wind would take it right center. if it was not blowing then i had to change the style of hitting. i could pull the ball in, but the fence was so far a gentleman asked me today. he asked me when i first got to candlestick, the fence was so far that they only had a little small bleachers out there. now they have it in close. i didn't have that when i played. it wasn't enclosed. it was an open area. the wind blew right in and then blew back to me. you could take a glove and put it against the fence and it wouldn't fall down.
>> gavin: that intense? >> well, you were throwing on top--i'm saying just throw it up against the fence and it would stick there. >> gavin: how about the fielding. >> oh, no, i could field. i learned how to field because i learned that when the ball went up you paused one two three and then the ball coming down. but if you say one two three and you go over there you got to come right back. people didn't know that. i never did tell them. i had a chance to do all this stuff you're talking about firsthand. that was fine. >> gavin: of all the record which are the most prideful for you? is it the gold glove? what are the records you cherished the most. >> i didn't play for that. i didn't play for momentos. i was worried more about the teammates that i had on the team more than just individual play.
i felt that if i could make them better around me, that was my job. i was made captain of the team. he says, you go out and you manage the field. meaning whatever i did on the field he was going to back me up. i told the guys, hey guys, if you don't do what i tell you you're not playing tomorrow. so it was always something that came to me when the guys want to have--when a guy got tired and he didn't want to play tomorrow. he would come to me. i will say why are you tired? well, i just need a day off. okay pick a guy who do you want to replace you the next day. you can go out. but the guy who is replacing you has got to me and he has to stay
in until you're ready to play again. it was one of the things that i did because it was important to me to make them happy all along the line. >> gavin: world series, winning the world series among the highlights i imagine for you? >> i didn't have a good world series. i made the catch dusty rose did all the hitting. i was on base. they walked me a lot. bob lemon walked me a lot. i think they had a great team. cleveland, did. they had three 20-game winners. they had one 19 and two 15s. they had a great team. and then bobby he won the batting championship that year. so it was a good world series, i
thought. >> gavin: for you how important was it in a year to win a world series? if you had not done that would you have looked back--is it that significant for a player, for a team from your perspective. >> i don't think i even knew at that time. i had just got to the majors. this was my first four years. i was so conscious of getting to the world series. it didn't matter if we won or lost. that's how i felt now. you look back and say to yourself well, we won it in '54, but like '62, if we would have won it, that would have been a great defeat for us. i was in maybe five world series or six it wasn't that big of a teal to me. >> gavin: hall of fame how important was that? >> hall of fame, my tour father said
before i even left birmingham, he said, you're going to be in the hall of fame. i didn't know what the hall of fame was at that time. i said okay. when i left him, and i started going to b ball, he called me every night because he knew i would fight. if someone bothered me i was right on them. he said no, you got to back up. if you fight they'll send you home, then you'll never get into the hall of fame. i said, well, who cares about the hall of fame? i don't care, but i'm not going to let them push me around. but i had guys on my club, they would do all the fighting for me. all the fighting. ii remember we left trenton one night and went across the tracks. it was fine for me because i had
fun. i had no curfew. it was nothing. but at 2:00 in the morning i heard a knock at my window. three guys came in. they got blankets out the closet. they slept on the floor. about 6:00 or 7:00 in the morning they went back out the window. they came back at 3:00, picked me up, and we went to the ballpark. so i had a lot of guys who do all the things i couldn't do. >> gavin: coming up next, willie mays talks about his first passion, and it wasn't basketball. plus a wear insight on growing up in the deep south and that helped him overcome racism in the ballpark.
(vo) always outspoken, joy behar. >> on my next show i'll talk to the actress who taught me if you don't have something wise ass to say, don't say anything. the great valerie harper on say anything.
>> gavin: our special hour-long conversation with willie mays continues with stories you probably never heard before. >> gavin: did you know you always wanted to be a major league baseball player. >> i really wanted to be a football player. i was a quarterback in high school. i was pretty good. but i sat down with myself and said, what is it that i can play the longest and i said to myself baseball. there's no way i could play 20 years in football. there's no way i could play 20 years in basketball. i was too small. so i chose baseball because of my dad. he played left field. my mother ran track. my sister ran track. i had two uncles that played football and different things. i came from a sports town in
alabama, so i was okay. >> gavin: but you mean you really, it's the old adage. you found baseball. baseball didn't find you. you knew that athletics was going to be your career, your chosen path? >> well, i chose baseball because at 16 i was making like $600 a month. that was a lot of money in high school. it helped me take wear of my family. so when i say family, it was my two aunts two cousin and my uncle. i could help him a lot. so actually i was put out of basketball and football in my last year in high school because i had to go and play baseball. but baseball--it's easy. it was an easy game for me. much easier than football or basketball. >> gavin: how important going back was stick ball in the
development of your hand-eye coordination? was it a big part of your development early on? >> well, it taught me to hit the breaking ball at that time because sometimes you had to bounce it, sometimes they wouldn't bounce it, and the ball would break. i was ride on it every time it would break i was right on it every time. but stick ball brought the whole block together. if you would have been in new york at that particular time and saw how they were lined up on both side of the streets it's called st. nicholas place. >> gavin: yep, yep. >> they were you will on the side of the street, and it was fun. because i would do it every day. i would do it maybe 20 minutes 30 minutes. and then i would go to the ballpark right down the street there. the key was to get the kids enjoying each other. after stick ball i would go to a
little deli on the corner. i would take out a hundred and i would buy them all ice creams and things because they looked forward to that. i had a good time with stick ball. >> gavin: the say hey legend. i read four different variations. say hey kid when did you first start seeing that. >> jimmy canada as far as i can remember starting that. that goes, say hey. then i would say hey there. say hey guys, i didn't know their names i didn't know many on the club. i knew hank thompson. they had a kid names wilson who i replaced. jimmy started this. just say hey kid hit another one type of thing. i think he started it. >> gavin: everyone had a
nickname. >> oh, yeah, oh, yeah, oh, yeah. alvin was blacky. he used the black bat. they called him that. there was one called hondo, a left fielder. and then i don't know if they called mueller. i don't know what name they call him right now, but he had a name. everybody had a name at that time. >> gavin: you played once one game with dimaggio against him. >> i played the world series, more than one game. >> gavin: more than one time, but you--i'm told you idolized di dimaggio growing up. >> when i was in west field i had a choice. every sunday i would look at the paper and i would see three guys.
dimaggio, williams and stan--no. joe. i would say who would i like to be like. i picked joe because joe could do everything. he was a good base runner, good hitter, and he played in a very deep ballpark. that's why he only had about 300-something home runs. he didn't have a lot. but he was a really quiet guy that i could tell at that time. i liked joe. when i got to know them all together, they were all good guys. then i--i had to pick jacki jackie came in and i had to pick him to go with that group. i had to analyze jakieckie he got me to the majors. >> gavin: you talked about all
the racism that existed as you were playing. sometimes the difficulty going out on the field and people coming after you and personalizing it. the harder they threw at you figuratively, you harder hit. >> you mean talking to me. >> gavin: the whole issue of being african-american. when i read a lot of what you said you seemed to be able to block a lot of that out. how were you able to do that. >> i don't know. let's go back to my first year. everything i used to go into pennsylvania they would call your names. but the first time around. the next time around i killed them. every time they called me a name i hit it further. all of a sudden when i go back they start clapping for you. so i got involved in that, pretty much. then when i went to minneapolis we couldn't stay in hotels there. we had to stay in private homes
there. so it didn't bother me. actually, it helped me because i grew up in different places like that. like in birmingham, we couldn't go to the movies with the guys. we had to go upstairs. so i had all that in my mind long time before i got to the majors. so it was fine for me. i enjoyed it. >> cenk: did you enjoy the celebrity that came with your success and fame? was there a point in your career where it was just exhausting? where it became too much, where it was getting in the way of the onfield work, did you ever get to that point where you thought boy, i wish i could become anonymous again. >> no. the reason why i say that is when i came to the majors i was able to take clothes to people who couldn't buy clothes. in my hometown i had a rule. i would take four suit cases to
new york, and fill them all up before i went back home with suits. i would go home. i would get a rack, and the rack i would put suits on the rack. now, if they called me on the phone and said, i have a date. fine. come pick out a suit. but if you didn't clean that suit up, put it in the cleaners and bring it back, you couldn't come to my house and wear another suit. there wasn't no, i forgot, no. next time you will tell me the truth. so it helps me to help so many other kid that i knew around fairfield, and it was--it was just fun for me. if you read books and things about me, i had fun every day. every day i had fun. how can you make money playing
baseball and helping your family? that's fun. there's nothing wrong with that. that's fine. >> gavin: willie mays opened the doors for so many others including our own president. we'll talk about willie's adventures on air force one.
[ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> gavin: president obama has personally thanked willie mays for helping him get to the white house. the two of them had plenty to talk about on one memorable flight on board air force one. >> gavin: i imagine growing up you never imagined beyond all your success that you would sitting on air force one with an african-american president on your way to st. louis with president barack obama. what kind of experience was that? >> well, leading up to that i met him in san francisco.
he was doing a book tour. one of my lawyers said we got a guy who is going to be president. i said no way. i don't think so, man. anyway, he was going a bookstore. he said, when you get to chicago i would like to have a little talk with you. so when i get to chicago i call him on the phone. he came and he spent an hour with me at the hotel that he was staying at. he said--he didn't even tell me he was running. i found out later that he was running for president. i doesn't think he had a chance to be president. so now when i he got in to be president i asked jeff, could you ask the president the only thing i haven't been on is air force one. so the white house called me, as you well know. they said, you have clearance to
go on air force one. but you have to go to detroit. so i had to fly to detroit. stay overnight. get up at 4:00 in the morning. yeah, you guys do that all the time. i had to get up at 4:00 in the morning, and they drive me to a base. i don't know where it was. to a base. but i found out he was going to go to a college somewhere. so now i go, and i asked the guy, can i go on the plane? oh yeah, you can go on the plane. you're going to be there when the president come by. he let me on the plane with the young lady taking me around. so i go on the plane, that was maybe six or seven guys showing me around all through the plane the 747.
i didn't know they had people underground there you know, with long rifles. i happened to see--i looked down there and i saw these big 'ol--the kid were small but the rifles were sticking out over their heads. i'm saying to myself, oh, boy. now the president comes back. he aide calls me and said, the president would like you to come in. we spoke about different things, how i got into baseball, like how you're doing now. i said to him at the time, i didn't think he had a chance, man. i am proud of you because i feel that this is something that i didn't think i would ever see in my lifetime. so i go back and they wanted uniforms. i had brought 10 or 15 uniforms, tops. so now they says, could you sign
them? i said, well they're downstairs in my bag. i started to get up, and one lady said, no, no, no. we'll get this. so now as you well know when you're on a plane like that, you can't roam around. so this lady goes downstairs, and she goes through my luggage. she must have gone through everything down there without me knowing about it. she comes back with the balls the uniforms and everything. so now when they come by, i get through signing everything, and the guy said, what would you like to eat? i said eat? i'm on air force one. i don't need to eat. he says, what would you like? we got everything you want. i said okay, give me a hamburger. they brought the hamburger back. i think i only ate half of it because i was busy writing and doing everything. now one of the gentlemen said, would you like to have dessert?
yes, sir. what would you like to have? i said, i would like to have ice cream. no ice cream. they didn't have no ice cream on the plane. so i said, you mean to tell me this is air force one and you have no ice cream there? the guy that does the speaking for the president when he introduce him when he's speaking, he was laughing. so now the speechwriter comes over, and he's talking to me. he said, the president would like for you to come by and stand and see him go down. so i'm standing at the door like this and as he was going down, he looked at me and he grabbed me by the hand as he was going down the stairs. you know how you go down the stairs. he was going down the stairs. so now i said, oh, boy what is he doing? so now my first thought don't let me fall.
don't let me fall, man. because if i fall, he's going to try to catch me, and we're going to go down to the bottom. so i said to my. oh, my god what is going on--he says, a couple of words. i got you. i got you. don't worry. i got you. now i relaxed a little bit. then i found out the stairs was a little wider for him than a normal person. so that they made sure that he didn't fall. then there was people taking pictures and everything. we go down, and he made sure that i got the right car. he called the guy come here. you put willie in this car. this is the motorcade. you're going direct to where you're going. wherever you're going everything stops. so now i go.
we get in this motorcade, and we go to the ballpark. a lot of guys i knew was hollering at me. oh hello, you know. so now we go to the elevateor and the president say i got to go and do some interviews. you go ahead. so now i'm by myself going up to this suite with a couple of guys, and they carried me up there to the suites, and it was two guys in there at the bar. what do you want? i'm by myself i said, oh, boy this is like heaven. then there was hank and the commissioner and all the people there, but they can't come over. they don't allow them in the booth as you well know at this booth. >> gavin: it's on lockdown.
>> when i came back he had water, he said, i'll see you in washington. i couldn't leave for 30 minutes or 40 minutes after he left, but it was very exciting for me to be on air force one. i tried to get on the helicopter at one time, so i--i found out i don't want to get on that because it only goes to where he's getting on air force one at. which is one of the base, i guess. i don't know about that one. >> gavin: and you never got your ice cream. >> i never got the ice cream. but i found out they had it next time i went on that. they had. it. i don't know what happened. but air force one was good. it was a fun night for me to have him be sworn in as the president of the united states
and i'm saying to myself, my god, i never thought anything like this would happen. i'm so proud. i never told him this. i'm just so proud of him because i don't care who he is. if an african-american can be president of the united states, that is fun man. so i was privileged to be on air force one. >> gavin: you forgot the best part of the story when he leans over to you and said, i'm here in no small part because of how you handled yourself. >> i don't know what it was, but he lengthen over and he says, i got you. this is before we went down the stairs. what you're talking about. we were on--oh, i looked at the phones and things up there. one of the pilots from the staff
said can you come up look around upstairs? i said no, no, i had heard that they had missiles around there. i might hit something that makes everything go off no, i don't want to go up there. upstairs you have an upstairs on air force one. i said no, i don't think i want to do that, sir. but any way he says, i think it's just a pleasure because if it wasn't for you and jackie i wouldn't be here doing what i have to do. for you to be on air force one is just a pleasure. whenever you want to come to the white house you just make a call, and we will bring you. i hadn't met michelle yet the wife, first lady. i haven't met her yet. i haven't met the two kids yet but i'm planning on doing that. so hopefully he'll have me back
to the white house. >> gavin: you and the white house celebrating the 2010 world series with the giants. >> yeah, i'm going there in september somewhere. i don't know when it is. i guess it depends on his schedule, you know. >> gavin: we have to take a quick break. but when we return willie mays has advice for ball players today. we need more teachers, not fewer teachers and more cops and more firefighters that support our
we're patrolling the area looking for guns, drugs, bodies. the cartel is so heavily armed the military needs everything they've got to go up against these guys. [ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> gavin: in our final mints with baseball legend willie mays which talk about what it takes to make it all the way to the pinnacle of the game and what young people need to do to prepare to win. >> gavin: you're looking back
with all your experience and treasure of knowledge. what do you say to a young kid out there who aspire to become a willie mays. is it fun baseball or is it discipline character applying oneself. what do you recommend to the young ball players, even the ones who made it up to the major leagues. >> i recommend that they don't try to be like me. be yourself. every who come to the majors have to understand that they're going to make a lot of money. make sure you save some. make sure you help your family, and they will help you. i think when you start trying to copy a lot of people as you grow old, that's where the problem starts. you might not be able to fulfill the dream of the guy you're trying to copy. so i said to the young kids, have fun. enjoy yourself, not me.
yourself. be yourself, enjoy yourself, have fun, make sure you help your family. make sure whatever you do, try to stay out of trouble. that to me--it's not about me. i did my time. i had my 24 years. i had my time. it's now time for you. it's time for you to get to 20 years. a lot of them don't get to 02 years. >> gavin: final question willie, when you were very young, and you were out there like a lot of us, you know, it's 0 and 2 bottom of the ninth bases loaded, and you're fantasizing in your own mind you were in the backyard playing stick balance or ball or something. who was in your mind? was it you or was it babe ruth. did you have a hero worship as a
kid. >> you said one thing. when you're in the batters box who do you want to be? in my first year i wanted to be in the batters box because i didn't want the pressure on the kids that i was playing with. i didn't try to copy anybody that i felt that i couldn't do the job with. the reason i wanted to be in the batters' box i wanted the pressure. i thought the pitcher had more pressure on him than i had on myself because he's the one throwing the ball. if he made a mistake i'm right on it. i could do everything that i possibly could do in baseball, and i did it. if you look at my record all the home runs i hit i hit them in the maybe in the first inning. and in the seventh inning,
pressure games. i did everything i possibly could do. i think it was a wonderful feeling that i had that attitude about myself. even today if i was playing that's what i would do. i would try and get the ball over the fence as quick as i can, but i wouldn't try to copy anybody. i would just do what i have to do and then move on. >> gavin: willie an honor. greatest baseball player no doubt ever lived. it's an honor to have you on the show. >> thank you. good luck. >> gavin: i hope you enjoyed the show as much as i did. willie mays has long been one of my heroes. his legacy is not just great baseball but it's his compassion integrity and willingness to give back to the community. thank you for sharing this hour with us. let's continue the conversation on our web facebook, twitter and google plus. good night.
[ ♪ theme music ♪ ] i think the number one thing that viewers like about the young turks is that we're honest. they know that i'm not bs'ing them with some hidden agenda, actually supporting one party or the other. when the democrats are wrong, they know that i'm going to be the first one to call them out. they can question whether i'm right, but i think that the audience gets that this guy, to the best of his ability, is trying to look out for us.
get on that because it only goes to where he's getting on air force one at. which is one of the base, i guess. i don't know about that one. >> gavin: and you never got your ice cream. >> i never got the ice cream. but